The Museum was founded on the legacy of the original borough, which includes the mace and seal used by the aldermen and councillors of Dunwich.
The Reading Room and Museum Charity was created in 1952 to continue the work started by The Dunwich Town Trust in preserving the history of the Town. The Reading Room is the village hall in Dunwich, and it serves the community in many ways, as a meeting place for local groups, coffee mornings, art classes and private functions. It serves as meeting room for the Dunwich Parish Meeting, the Dunwich Town Trust and often the Dunwich Parochial Church Council.
We are currently proceeding to change the charitable status of the organisation into a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, and combine the work of the Reading Room and Museum into The Dunwich Community Heritage Centre.